top of page

Carbon Monoxide In Your Home: How To Protect Yourself

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odourless, tasteless, colourless gas formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels. If inhaled, CO is dangerous to your health and can even lead to death. Many household devices like clothes dryers, water heaters, boilers and fireplaces can release carbon monoxide into your home if they malfunction, are used in unventilated or poorly ventilated areas or have been incorrectly installed or maintained.


carbon monoxide alarm

Here are a few tips for keeping your home free from carbon monoxide:

  • Regularly inspect and maintain fuel-burning appliances

Schedule regular inspections and maintenance for all fuel-burning appliances, including furnaces, water heaters, gas and wood stoves and fireplaces. Hire a professional technician to ensure these appliances are operating correctly and venting properly.

  • Clean and clear vents, flues and chimneys

Regularly inspect and clean vents, flues and chimneys to ensure there aren’t any blockages that could restrict the proper flow of combustion gases. Blocked ventilation systems can cause carbon monoxide to build up indoors.

  • Never use fuel-burning devices indoors

Never use generators, camping stoves, charcoal grills and other fuel-burning devices, like gas-powered generators, power tools and lawn equipment, indoors or in enclosed spaces, as they can release carbon monoxide into your living area. CO is also a product of second-hand smoke. Therefore, you should avoid smoking indoors.

  • Don’t run vehicles in an attached garage

Never run your car or motorcycle engine inside an attached garage, even if the garage door is open. If you need to warm up your vehicle, pull it outside first.

  • Be aware of signs of CO poisoning

CO is often called the “silent killer” because people tend to ignore early signs of poisoning. Make sure to inform everyone in your household about the dangers of carbon monoxide and the importance of prevention. Teach them to recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, including headaches, dizziness, nausea and confusion.

  • Install carbon monoxide alarms

Carbon monoxide can only be detected with a carbon monoxide alarm. Therefore, you should have at least one CO alarm installed in your home. The most important places to install a CO alarm are in hallways and outside sleeping areas. Ideally, CO alarms should be installed on each level of the home and outside each bedroom. Make sure to regularly test the detectors and replace the batteries as needed. Guardian Security Solutions carries CO alarms that are certified to Canadian safety standards.

Alarm, security and surveillance systems in Calgary and Lethbridge

If you want to keep your home protected from more than just carbon monoxide, turn to the professionals at Guardian Security Solutions in Alberta. We sell, install and maintain smoke alarms, CO detectors, home alarm systems and more. We carry top-of-the-line brands so you can rest assured you’re getting the best products on the market. Contact us today to schedule your installation.

Commentaires


bottom of page