05/04/2023 0 Comments
Dos and don’ts for keeping your home safe while on vacation
As you book your flights and scope out the guidebooks for that long-awaited vacation, the last thing you want to worry about is a break-in while you’re away. To enjoy your holiday to the fullest, you’ll need to know things are secure back home. Here are a few tried and true security tips, plus a few you may not have considered.
What to do
Consider taking these precautions before leaving for vacation:
- Ask someone to come and go. Hire a house sitter or ask a neighbour to keep the mailbox empty, put out the trash and give the house a lived-in look.
- Use timers to automate lights and devices. Setting timers on your home entertainment system or lights in various rooms throughout the house will give the appearance of activity.
- Keep a car in the driveway. Leave your car outside or invite a neighbour to use your driveway while you’re away.
- Leave visible signs of security monitoring. Outdoor cameras, motion-activated lights and decals advertising a security service can be deterrents. Talk to a professional security expert about beefing up your home security.
An indoor security camera combined with a smart home system will let you monitor your home via your smartphone while you’re away.
What not to do
Often, the risks you don’t consider are the ones that get you into trouble. Here are a few ways you can step up your vigilance:
- Don’t make your travel plans public. It’s natural to want to share your fun escapades with friends, but be selective in sharing before and during your travels. Optimize the privacy settings for your social media accounts, at least until you get home.
- Don’t close all the blinds. You want to keep the contents of your home safe from prying eyes, but it’s best to rearrange your interior to keep them out of sight. Leaving your curtains or blinds closed signals inactivity in your home.
- Don’t neglect your garden and lawn. Hire a professional landscaper or a neighbourhood kid to keep your greenery trimmed. The presence of a person doing yardwork will also deter intruders.
Finally, never leave a key where it can be found. Come up with a plan for handing over the keys to your house sitter or caretaker, so you don’t have to resort to leaving them under the doormat or in the mailbox.
Security cameras and home alarm systems in Calgary and Lethbridge
For peace of mind when you’re away, Guardian Security Solutions can help. A member of our team can advise you on wireless alarm systems, video surveillance, monitoring and door intercom systems you can operate on your phone. Before taking off for your well-deserved break, contact us in Calgary or Lethbridge to ensure your home base is covered.